Monday, October 13, 2008

Ronnie - minus tonsils, adenoids, etc...

Most people know by now that Ronnie's surgery went well. We were released from the surgery center on Friday at 3pm. It was a long day & very emotional for me. It's a horrible feeling to see your baby laying there in pain & there is absolutely nothing to do except love on him as much as possible. He had trouble coming out of the anesthesia & was so disoriented & in tremendous pain. He later asked me when he was getting his tonsils back. I imagine he figured that would cure his pain. The nurses at the surgery center were fantastic! They said Ronnie was one of the best patients they have ever had. He was extremely polite & never complained a bit.

Ron & I never let our kids sleep with us unless they are sick. So, night #1, Ronnie was in my bed & Ron got the couch! Turned out to be a wise move for Ron who got the most sleep. We went to bed at 9pm. I was exhausted & wanted to go to sleep, but poor Ronnie was not tired. He had slept most of the day. I asked him if I could get him anything. Downstairs I went to get him some ice water. Back up I came & then told him I would be turning off the lights. He could stay up & watch TV, but Mommy was going to sleep. He informed me that he had to rest his "froat". No problem. I told him to tap me if he needed anything. Slowly, I began to drift to sleep. Tap, tap, tap. Ronnie needed some more ice water. It HAD to be completely frozen. I informed him that there were still a ton of ice cubes in his cup, but alas, they were beginning to thaw, so downstairs I went for more water. Back upstairs & to sleep I started. Tap, tap, tap. Poor Ronnie needed ice cream for his sore "froat". Another trip downstairs. Back upstairs I came & now the light had to be on so he could see to eat. He had to eat VERY slowly because of his poor sore "froat". Finally, 10:30, I'm off to sleep. Tap, tap, tap. Now he needed pain meds. Back downstairs to get the meds & back upstairs to give them to my poor baby. (Boy, there are times I wish for a smaller house!) This went on several times throughout the night. At 5:30am, Ronnie woke me up to ask when morning was coming. He was not tired anymore. I told him he could go ahead & get up & go visit Daddy!

Night number 2 was a repeat of the same. Last night, he moaned all night long, but only asked us for water & meds once. However, I got up this morning & let him sleep in. Since he had such a restless night, I figured he could use more sleep. Wrong choice on my part. He cried so hard because I "left him" & he hurt his "froat" from all the crying. I calmly explained that I wanted him to get rest & he could come downstairs when he awoke. He told me that he couldn't walk because his "froat" hurt so much.

After writing all of this, I do have to admit that for the most part, he has not complained at all. Nights are the worst for him & I imagine laying down makes things worse. During the day, he is up & playing playstation & seems to feel okay. I just want him to feel better & I know that he will by the 10th day & that this will help him feel better in the long run. I just don't cope well with my children feeling bad. So keep Ronnie in your prayers as he still has a long road ahead before this is all over. He is not eating & is barely drinking & yesterday was a puke fest for him. I worry about dehydration. We are going to get some nausea meds & different pain meds for him since he can't take them on an empty stomach.

On a quick side note, Gracie has learned to climb up on our tall bar stool chairs. I was on the phone this morning & I glanced in the kitchen to check on her. She was sitting atop the kitchen island playing with a bottle of lotion! I need to chain her up so she will stay safe. Another mother-of-the-year moment for me!!!

No comments: