Saturday, August 16, 2008

Off to School & Strep Throat???

Ronnie has had his first week of kindergarten. He was extremely nervous because there would be "big" kids around. Turns out he made 5 new friends on his first day & 6 on the 2nd day. Quite the social butterfly, I must say. He seems to like it, but isn't overly eager to go each day & really looks forward to the weekend. I hope he starts to enjoy it soon. When the bus driver came to his stop, I was standing there patiently, waiting for my little bugger to get off the bus. After 3 kids got off, the bus started to pull away. Then the bus driver stopped again & motioned me to come up to the bus. He asked me, "Are any of these yours?" He was pointing to 3 little boys in the front seat. I quickly claimed Ronnie & off the bus he came. It was comical.

Friday night at 1:30 am Gracie woke up with a fever. I gave her some Tylenol & she seemed okay. At 4:30 in the morning, she woke up screaming. She felt extremely hot & I went to get her some juice & put her in bed with me. She began shaking uncontrollably & then when she would stop, she would scream as if she was afraid. This went on multiple times and really freaked me out. I took her to the ER & was told she had an ear infection & strep throat & probably suffered febrile seizures which are caused by a really high fever. It was probably one of the most frightening experiences I have ever been through. She was so helpless and sick. So, poor little Gracie is having her first illness. Ronnie woke up with the same symptoms (no seizures thankfully). I took him to the urgent care center & he tested negative for strep, but they told me that the test is often negative until 48-72 hours after symptoms begin. I never wait that long because he has had strep more times than I can count, so I usually know right away if he is getting strep. Fortunately, they think it's strep anyway & gave me some medicine for him too. I guess this is another fun part of having 2 children. I have their medicine labeled in the fridge so I can make sure not to mix them up! :) Pray for a quick recovery so I don't strangle myself due to sleep deprivation and anxiety.

Ronnie picked his Big Brother shirt for day 1 of school.
Off to school
Off the bus!Brother & Sister with Strep Throat











2 comments:

Sarah said...

That is so pitaful what they went through this weekend! I am praying for a speedy recovery for them both! I have never been through anything like that with LeeAnn, (thank God)but I can definitely imagine how scary it would be! I hope Ronnie feels better about kindergarten soon. I am sure he will be fine!

candi said...

Poor Gracie! That is really scary. I hope everyone is feeling better. Ronnie is adorable with his little backpack:)